Country / City Info | Medexpo Egypt 2017
medexpo egypt dentexpo egypt

Country / City Info

Physical Location


Egypt is a transcontinental country spanning the northeast corner of Africa and the southwest corner of Asia, bordered by the Mediterranean Sea in the north, Israel and the Gaza Strip in the north-east, the Red Sea in the east, Sudan in the south and Libya in the west. Cairo is the capital and largest city of Egypt.

With over 92 million inhabitants, Egypt is the third-most populous country in Africa. About half of Egypt's residents live in urban areas, with most spread across the densely populated centres of greater Cairo, Alexandria and other major cities in the Nile Delta.

Government

The politics of Egypt is based on republicanism, with a unitary, semi-presidential system of government established following the Egyptian Revolution of 2011. The president of the republic is the head of state and together with the cabinet constitutes the executive authority. Legislative power resides in the House of Representatives, which is composed of elected members under a complex system of proportional representation. The current president of Egypt is Abdel Fattah el-Sisi who was sworn into office on 8 June 2014.

Economy

Egypt's economy is one of the largest and most diversified in the Middle East. Egypt's economy depends mainly on agriculture, media, petroleum imports, natural gas and tourism. The country also has a developed energy market based on coal, oil, natural gas and hydro power. Annual exports touched $22.2 billion last year while imports were valued at $61.2 billion.

Currency: Egyptian Pound
GDP: $331 billion
GDP per capita: $3740
Economic Growth Rate: 4.2%
Inflation Rate: 10.4%

Areas of Concern

The size and rapid growth of Egypt's population has caused certain environmental problems. The expansion of urban areas into nearby farming areas infringes on the already limited agricultural land in the Nile Delta and Valley. The Nile, which is the only perennial water source in Egypt, is being overstrained due to the rapid population growth near the banks, putting much pressure on the available natural resources. Other issues include water quality and quantity, soil loss, urban growth, air pollution and the environmental effects of tourism.

People

Egypt has a population of around 92,526,000. Egypt's people are highly urbanised, being concentrated along the Nile. 90% of the population is Muslim while the remaining 10% are Christians. The official language of Egypt is Arabic.

Health and social issues

Life Expectancy: - Men: 69 years; Women: 73 years
Infant Mortality: 19.7 deaths per 1000 live births
Population below Poverty Line: 27.8%
1 physician per 1852 people
HIV/AIDS rate in adults: less than 1%
Literacy Rate: 75.2%
Compulsory education: 6 - 14 years

Communication and transportation

Households with television: 95.86%
Internet Users: 30,835,256 (33%)
Road Network: 21000 miles
Railroad Network: 3158 miles
No. of Airports: 87
Motor vehicles per 1000 people: 45

Military

Military expenditures are 1.76% of the Gross Domestic Product (GDP).

Resources and industry

Honey, papyrus, natural gas, oil, petroleum, limestone, phosphate, manganese, gypsum, iron ore, textiles, rice, cement, steel, ceramics, hydropower, agriculture, automotive manufacturing, construction, petrochemical industry and consumer electronics manufacturing.

Expogroup

Expogroup is a full service exhibition organiser with over 20 years experience in International trade exhibitions. Our current portfolio includes 27 annual exhibitions from a diverse range of industries being held across the Middle East & Africa.

EXPOGROUP © 1996 - 2017 | Privacy policy

Find us here

INTERNATIONAL SALES & MARKETING HEADQUARTERS
  • 1910, 19th Floor, Monarch Office Tower

  • P.0. Box - 333840,

  • One Sheikh Zayed Road, Dubai - UAE

  • P: +971-4-3721421

  • F: +971-4-3721422

  • Please Write to us :

REGIONAL OFFICES :